7 Health Benefits Of Japanese Wakame seaweed
Wakame is not only extremely high in nutritional value but is also extremely low in calorie and minimal in fat (only contains about five calories per serving and is said to actually help burn fat). It helps to prevent heart disease, cancer, diabetes, blood clotting, and obesity. Wakame has beneficial effects on stroke, hypertension (high blood pressure), viral infections, tumors, oxidation and inflammation while promoting a good immune system. Wakame is a great addition to any diet as there are few things we can eat that are so replete with nutrients and health benefits.
Health Benefits of Wakame: Wakame is a good source of the following:
1. Magnesium. This mineral is critical in the contraction and relaxation of muscles, function of certain enzymes in the body, production and transport of energy, and the production of protein.
2. Iodine. Iodine is needed for strong metabolism of cells – the process of converting food into energy. It also maintains the balance of the thyroid gland and is needed for the production of thyroid hormones.
3. Calcium. Wakame easily allows for the absorption of calcium into the human body. Each 100 grams of raw wakame contains 150 milligrams of calcium. Calcium is needed for strong healthy bones and the prevention of osteoporosis.
4. Iron. We need iron because it is essential for the production of red blood cells and the prevention of anemia.
5. Vitamins! Vitamins A, C, E, and K. These vitamins are all amazing for skin health and repair as well as immunology. Vitamin D. Promotes the absorption of calcium for healthy bones and enhances the nerve, muscle, and immune systems. Riboflavin (Vitamin B2). We need riboflavin to use the carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in the foods we eat. Riboflavin helps us use these nutrients for energy in our bodies for growth and is also necessary for red blood cell production. Riboflavin functions as an antioxidant and works in the body with other vitamins such as niacin, folate, and vitaminB6.
6. Folate. Helps the body make new cells and is especially important for pregnant women.
7. Lignans. Thought to play a role in preventing certain types of cancer, particularly breast cancer.